Saturday, May 1, 2010

I'm proud to be an Indian and have no regrets :D

But in the past few days, I came across few incidents which made me realize why the lifestyle of Indians echoed, WE ARE LIKE THAT "ONLY" !!!


1) Please tender exact change/fare:

Most common phrase - at railway reservation counters, bus stands, buses banks, where not ! My mum is very particular about me carrying a set of 10's, a few coins of each denomination whenever I got out, so as to avoid any delay waiting for the change. Yesterday evening was when I had to collect the project completion letter from the company. I started off with deep sense of relief that I need not see the employees frowning at me anymore giving awkward stares as if i haunted them in the name of corporate begging for data collection.

Since my mum was not at home, to remind me about the change, I carried my purse with few bucks needed for the to and fro travel. I boarded the bus and asked for a ticket to my stop. The conductor handed over a ticket for Rs.2.50 and insisting on the 50ps coin. I groped all over my purse to find a coin. Failing to find one, I gave her three rupees and nodded my head to indicate that I dint have the change.I was expecting to return the change to me , but to my astonishment, she dropped the coins into her bag and leaned back conveniently in her seat. I was in dilemma whether to ignore that as it was JUST 50ps or to ask her? Some how I hesitated to ask. The whole time i was wondering if she would have been fine in case I gave her two rupees instead of three !




This is absolutely silly when I talk about 50ps but it doesn't end here. How many times didn't the shop keepers place a toffee in your hand compensating for the non availability of the change?? Some times I wonder if this is some kind of toffee marketing strategy. Height of it is many of us don't care to refuse ! I bet the shop keepers or bus conductors fight till the end to get that rupee. Imagine the amount of 50ps or one rupee we have forgone, piling up to make a huge sum, would that amount matter then?????

Btw, I'm not a miser nor am I greedy, just that I have no "money-plant" at home. I guess none of us do...

2) Which God should I please????

Disclaimer: I'm not an atheist :P

There's this new program in one of the TV channels that's keeping my parents glued to the so called "Idiot Box". Its about the horoscope, the Doshams(errors) in the horoscope and the rituals to be performed to rectify the errors, the Gods one should please.There's this guy who's a scholar in astrology, who verifies your horoscope and recommends appropriate God and the type of ritual to be performed.

Today was the most hilarious episode. There was a letter from a guy which read:

Dear Sir,

I'm XYZ. I don't know what's wrong with my horoscope but I lost all the money which I earned till now !! I'm scared to start new business. Should I start a new business? If so, Which God should I please for the income to stay in my hand ? Please suggest :P :P

And I couldn't stop laughing at the reply given.

Dear XYZ,

Having keenly observed your horoscope, I found some errors. I can see that you're likely to earn a handsome amount very soon but I doubt how long you'll retain it. As per your horoscope you'll earn a lot but the money just flows out of your hand. So I suggest you to find a person with such a horoscope where the income stays in hand, then plan for a fixed deposit and property transfer to his/her name :D :D :D


Thank God, the astrologer dint say that he's the person with the suitable horoscope and would be best option for XYZ to transfer all his property to him..

ROFL !

If astrologers were to suggest the best time to start the business, what are Ansoff's and BCG matrices doing here? And yea, the income planners can apply for their retirement. Warren Buffet and Phillip Kotler would be replaced by astrologers :D

4 comments:

RAHMANIAC said...

lol !! astrologers r really as(s)trologers

spicysecrets said...

The second point u made on astrologers was acceptable. But, the first point is not :|

Do you know how much profit a shopkeeper makes on a bag of toffee with hundred toffees? less than Rs. 2. The shopkeeper isn't going to make a fortune by giving you a toffee instead of 50 paise. The reason y he thrusts that chocolate into your hand is that you shouldn't feel that you lost 50 paise for nothing. Its just to make u feel that u have 'bought' something for 50 paise.
Do you know how much a conductor pays as "short"? (Short is the amount deducted from the salary of a conductor bcos of non- tallying of the collection amount and the tickets sold). Conductors pay around Rs. 30 - Rs. 50 as short each day (Thats around Rs. 1500 a month- just because passengers aren't patient enuf to hand over the correct amount to conductors and conductors aren't attentive enuf at the fag end of the day after 10 hours of continual standing in the scorching heat of Chennai buses). Do you think the 50 paise he puts in his purse is because he wants to buy a Mercedes S- Class with the amount saved from those 50 paisas? NO. He does that because he honestly does not have that 50 paise and he would have got tired explaining this fact to each and every passenger.
That 50 paise isnt going to make a big difference to either your life nor the life of the conductor. But, what would make a difference is a small smile you give to the conductor to show that you are perfectly fine with him not giving you the 50 paise. After all, standing ten hours in the hot and humid conditions in the maddening crowd of Chennai buses shouting all the way long, tearing tickets and handling money is not at all easy. That small smile can make him happy for at least 2 seconds in the midst of the maddening city life :)

Unknown said...

hey dude or dudette who ever you may be..your perception towards things..i say ..!do yu think a shopkeeper is a moron to sell 100 toffees for a profit of less than two rupees..! trust me buddy...the tally of the collective profit.. would be much more...!!do yu think all the shopkeepers are insomniacs..!! who just throw away their entire day...to raise a profit of two rupees outta it..!! i don't think so..!!more over it's a perfect business strategy to sell out ..the unwanted stuff..!do yu think kids these days are willing to have choc's rated 50 ps...no dude even a new born child wants a cadbury..! so how do they sell out the stuff.. thus comes the strat's...!

& More over..! 50ps ain't gonna make a big diff for conductor's yes its true but we work our...asses out to earn that 50ps..!! he ain't the only person on this planet making his money under intolerable..conditions..!!

spicysecrets said...

@sravan
We own a shop and we know how much a bag of toffee sells out for :-)

Post a Comment