Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dad was completely occupied with his conference work last weekend. That wasn't the first time I've seen him toiling with those huge files but yes, it certainly was different from all those times I'd seen him. It was 12.30 in the night and the light was still glowing. My nights are usually late and strict 'NO' to the lights in the room when I'm sleeping. Now that it was my dad working, I couldn't scream at mum to switch off the lights. Neither could I sleep. {Sigh} So i got up and walked to my dad pretending to be a good egg. I offered to help him knowing very well that I'd be of no use :P His reply was a bitter pill because he asked me to fetch my calculator and help him finish the work. I cursed myself for being  a little too obedient. Since I made the offer myself, the ways for evasion were blocked.

Though we dint share a common thread, dad sometimes wanted me to help him in the paperwork so that I get to learn something useful. Everything was Greek and Latin to me but it sure was a matter of pride, for I got to use the computer for something other than Super Mario and Paint brush. I couldn't help wondering why dad wanted me to help in spite of that fact being clear that I suck at basic math and my computer-fascination died ages back. And this time the culprit is the HR factor.

Dad is a Commerce grad and he started his career in a marketing firm. My sister is a Computer Science grad and  me, the bio grad. Three different poles. Math was my worst nightmare and I dint have the slightest clue of why commerce courses existed on the earth. I could better explain why amoeba was shapeless or why does DNA split when UV rays fall on it ! My medicine seat had gone for a toss because I was a little too playful and little less studious. I sacrificed it for my cousin who was among the board toppers ( wonder why such specimens exist in the family !) By the way, No thanks ! I'm happy without it. Me, Sis and Dad were three wickets who were eventually bowled by this HR factor. 

It all started off with Sis, the first wicket. She was jobless after her graduation which stimulated the MBA bug in her. Dad could see her brains working sharper after she joined MBA. And with this positive effect, dad wanted me to pursue the same course. I had a free hand in decision making tho. Being aimless in life made me feel a bit at sea and so I chose MBA. Flunking in finance internals and lack of interest in ops, made me chose "HR". And hence the appendage to MBA :P The second wicket is bowled. Bowling the third wicket was a cake walk for the HR factor. Dad's experience promoted him to Personnel (HR) and Admin Dept. And now we're the three musketeers traveling an unplanned journey to the HR world.. I'm going to be a Junior HR executive in a month's time, sis is already a senior HR executive and dad, GM, Personnel and admin !!
No regrets by the way, for me it was a blessing in disguise !!

0 comments:

Post a Comment